"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." -Andre Gide



Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Staying Overnight in the Boat

The First Mate was working so I flea-bombed the house.  It was a toxic flea-killing zone!  I decided to stay overnight on the boat.  In the slip!

I haven't stayed overnight on the boat for a while. Every boating activity is a learning experience and this was no different.  I went down to the boat at about 2200.  It was already dark, but I hooked up the power to the dock outlet.  I had a night cap, read a little, then went to bed.

I learned that I definitely prefer sleeping anywhere but the V-berth. I am not that tall, only 5'9", and I find it difficult to fit in the V-berth. After rolling around a good part of the night trying to find a good angle to stretch out, I was awoken by the sound of rain. I always thought it would be soothing to be in the boat during a rain storm but it was actually fairly loud with the rain hittting the deck.

When I decided to get up I realized I needed two things. First, I need to fix the head because going out in the rain in the morning is not fun. Secondly, I need to get a stove in the boat. I had planned to make some coffee on the BBQ attached to the aft railing, but this was not too appealing in the rain.  I ended up going home at 0830.

Sounds like a bad night, but oddly enough I still had a good time. Gotta love the boating life!  Especially after I went to the Blue Bean for my morning caffine fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Unfortunately, we cannot reply privately by email. Please look for our reply to your comment on the blog!