"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." -Andre Gide



Thursday, January 28, 2010

Captain's First Post


And now for some of the sailboat maintenance that all you followers have been reading about in this tag team blog. I won't be sticking to maintenence solely, but I will detail the retrofit of Training Wheels: the initial boat selection, the complicated renaming process, making old parts new, and even some modifications (who would think anything would be left to mod on a 40 year old boat). I am sure from time to time that I will work some Zen into my posts but I think by reading the posts so far that will mostly be covered by Lauren.

Why buy a sailboat? The question has come up a lot and I can understand why, most non-sailors only know two things about boats, that "boat" means a hole in the water that you pour money into and that the best days of your life is when you buy and then sell your boat. For me I would say it represents a type of freedom that is a natural extension of how I have lived my live so far. Being able to take steps forward where no path exists. To go places few have gone and to get access to more surfing locations that can't be had by car. I also hoped to learn new things about myself, my spouse, and life in general. Sailing is a lot like life; every trip out requires preparation and patience and every trip out has the potential for deep satisfaction, major frustration, or every so often life and death situations. I have tried to buy a sailboat many times over the last 15 years and always backed out for one reason or another. Now was my time, and in a sense, this will be the story.


~Truman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Unfortunately, we cannot reply privately by email. Please look for our reply to your comment on the blog!