"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." -Andre Gide



Friday, January 22, 2010

How to be a Good First Mate







Basically, every marriage book I've ever read has prepared me for taking on the task of becoming a First Mate. We have been married for 8 years, so I've read a lot of them! Now it is just time to follow all that good advice.

I feel like each time we take the boat out of the slip we are playing out some quotable vignette in which the Captain (husband) is supposed to manage the way-ward crew (wife and/or family) and subvert any possible attempted mutiny. This is not a compliment to my own behavior! I am usually the instigator of said mutiny attempts. Insubordination cannot be tolerated on such a small vessel!
Ha ha! All joking aside, the opportunity to become a better help-mate has rather clearly presented itself. I have taken to refinishing the galley. Truman has attended to the motor and sails. We make a good team actually. But, we are learning to steer, tack, navigate, anchor, etc.

There are several obstacles:

First of all, I have never taken a sailing class. I have never read a sailing book. I might be considered lazy.... the jury is still out on that one. But, Truman has the task of educating himself and then educating me at whatever level he feels appropriate. I am perfectly happy with this arrangement!

Let's see how it works out this year! Follow along with us!

~ Lauren, First Mate

3 comments:

  1. I love it! Love reading my sisters blog. I can tell already I will love your too! Ok, so those are some nice pictures you have got on the sailboat, have you gotten a new camera? If not this is a must! No excuses. =) Last I saw costco had the one my sister got $100 off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I still need to learn how to comment on a comment! Well, Laura, thanks for your support. I haven't gotten the nice camera yet, but it is in the works. Stay tuned for more great stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Unfortunately, we cannot reply privately by email. Please look for our reply to your comment on the blog!