"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." -Andre Gide



Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Mate will play while the Captain is away . . .

Labor Day weekend was really relaxing!  I did everything I wanted to do: went running twice, had dinner and bbq with friends, worked on Lil' Wheels with my marinerette-mate, juiced and cooked vegan, and slept when I felt like it, and read a ton of books

The best book I read which warrants mention is:
The Promise of Sleep by William Dement, MD, PhD (not pictured because I already lent it out!)

I cannot say enough about this book!  I think everyone has to read it!  Dr. Dement makes the argument that we are mostly sleep-deprived, or sleep-negligent, individuals who cannot perform optimally due to our sleep debt.  If we treat our real sleep needs like calories then we'd take better care of ourselves.  Through reading this book I have been empowered to give my brain and body the rest that it needs.


I've had three people tell me that I should buy a kindle or nook in the last week.  Do you have one?  Do you like it?

2 comments:

  1. Funny you mention sleep: John Vigor just blogged about it today (http://johnvigor.blogspot.com/2010/09/sleeping-problems.html)
    Also check out his black box theory on said blog. Oh, and his books are great, too! "Small boat to Freedom" really tells his story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Captain V~ Great link! Thank you! YOu are a treasure chest of sailor info!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Unfortunately, we cannot reply privately by email. Please look for our reply to your comment on the blog!